News for 'malegaon blasts'

Malegaon remarks: PM calls up Advani

Malegaon remarks: PM calls up Advani

Rediff.com20 Nov 2008

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had a telephonic talk with L K Advani today close on the heels of the BJP leader attacking the Mumbai ATS for the treatment meted out to Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur.

Lawyers to help Malegaon accused

Lawyers to help Malegaon accused

Rediff.com21 Nov 2008

Throwing its weight behind the Malegaon blast accused, including sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, a group of advocates in Sonepat have set up a 17-member lawyers committee to provide legal assistance to them. The Hindu Unification Movement Legal and Welfare Association will provide legal assistance to the sadhvi and other accused, according to Bhupeshwar Dayal Gaur, a founder-member of the association.

Malegaon: Cops ignored alert on suspicious scooter

Malegaon: Cops ignored alert on suspicious scooter

Rediff.com29 Sep 2009

Exactly a year after the Malegaon blast shook the powerloom town in Maharashtra leaving seven people dead, one of the surviving victims has revealed that he had alerted the local police about an abandoned scooter, but no action had been taken.

Sadhvi Pragya's bail plea rejected in Malegaon blast case

Sadhvi Pragya's bail plea rejected in Malegaon blast case

Rediff.com25 Sep 2012

The special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court on Tuesday rejected the bail application of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, the key accused in the 2008 Malegoan blast.

'Purohit supplied RDX for Samjhauta blast'

'Purohit supplied RDX for Samjhauta blast'

Rediff.com15 Nov 2008

Lieutenant Colonel Shrikant Purohit, who was arrested for his role in the Malegaon blast, was produced before a Nashik court on Saturday.The court extended Purohit's police custody till November 18.Public Prosecutor Ajay Misar told the court that Lt Col Purohit had links with the 2007 Samjhauta Express blast and he supplied the RDX used in the blast.

Runaway Swami may be key to Ajmer, Hyd blast cases

Runaway Swami may be key to Ajmer, Hyd blast cases

Rediff.com19 May 2010

Investigators probing the acts of terror allegedly carried out by right-wing groups at Malegaon, Ajmer and Hyderabad are now looking for one Swami Aseemanand and his accomplice.The police have been looking for Swami Aseemanand since the Mumbai Anti-Terrorism Squad arrested Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur in October 2009 in connection with the Malegaon blasts. The ATS had picked up incriminating intercepts of his conversation with the Sadhvi.

Malegaon case: Release the right wing accused also, says RSS

Malegaon case: Release the right wing accused also, says RSS

Rediff.com18 Nov 2011

A day after seven accused in the Malegaon blasts were released on bail, the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangha on Thursday demanded similar relief to other right wing accused who have been lodged in jail.

Malegaon: Chaturvedi's remand plea rejected

Malegaon: Chaturvedi's remand plea rejected

Rediff.com6 Jan 2009

All the 11 accused in Malegaon blast case, including Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur and Lt Col Prasad Purohit, were today remanded to judicial custody till January 20 by a special MCOCA court here.

Cong faces third defeat in a year in Malegaon

Cong faces third defeat in a year in Malegaon

Rediff.com15 Dec 2009

The ghosts of Malegaon blast are still haunting the Congress at the textile mill town. After a losing streak in the Lok Sabha and state assembly elections, the Congress again lost in the mayor elections for the Malegaon Municipal Corporation held on Tuesday morning.

Modi discusses Malegaon with RSS top brass

Modi discusses Malegaon with RSS top brass

Rediff.com26 Nov 2008

Modi, who was in Delhi to campaign for the Bharatiya Janata Party in the assembly election, went to the RSS office before kick-starting his road show and public meetings, sources said. Though RSS chief R Sudarshan was not part of the meeting, Modi held long discussions with other senior functionaries and discussed the arrest of the sadhvi and how to handle the issue.

Malegaon: Former Colonel under scanner

Malegaon: Former Colonel under scanner

Rediff.com14 Nov 2008

A former Colonel is now being probed by the ATS for alleged links with the Malegaon blast prime accused Lt Col S P Purohit and may have extended help in training cadres of Abhinav Bharat, a little-known right wing group suspected to be involved in the conspiracy.

Malegaon: Judicial custody for accused till Dec 3

Malegaon: Judicial custody for accused till Dec 3

Rediff.com24 Nov 2008

Seven accused in the Malegaon blast case, including Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, were today remanded in judicial custody till December 3 by a MCOCA court.

Malegaon probe: Sadhvi undergoes polygraph tests

Malegaon probe: Sadhvi undergoes polygraph tests

Rediff.com1 Nov 2008

Three accused in the September 29 Malegaon blast on Saturday underwent polygraph tests at the Kalina Forensic Science Laboratory.

Why politicising the Malegaon case is dangerous

Why politicising the Malegaon case is dangerous

Rediff.com17 Nov 2011

By politicising and communalising the investigation process into terror-incidents like the 2006 Malegaon blasts case, the government will be further vitiating the relationship between the two communities and paving the way for more acts of terrorism in future, feels senior analyst B Raman.

Why was Malegaon transferred, asks HC

Why was Malegaon transferred, asks HC

Rediff.com16 Nov 2009

The Bombay High Court on Monday directed the Maharashtra government to explain why the investigations of September 2006 Malegaon blast was transferred to the Central Bureau of Investigation.

ATS set to wind up Malegaon probe. Here's why

ATS set to wind up Malegaon probe. Here's why

Rediff.com2 Feb 2011

Initial reports of Muthalik's interrogation make it clear that he was the man who helped with the logistics and was one among the three who planted the bombs at Malegaon.

NIA arrests Samjhauta accused in Malegaon case

NIA arrests Samjhauta accused in Malegaon case

Rediff.com27 Feb 2012

National Investigation Agency on Monday formally arrested Lokesh Sharma, already in judicial custody in connection with the Samjhauta train bombing case, for his alleged role in the 2008 Malegaon blast.

Malegaon: Army to reconvene probe against Purohit

Malegaon: Army to reconvene probe against Purohit

Rediff.com9 Mar 2011

The Armed Forces Tribunal on Wednesday asked the army to reconvene the probe against Malegaon blast accused Lieutenant Colonel Shrikant Prasad Purohit, holding that the Court of Inquiry against him "suffers from the vice of irregularity".

ATS forced to take names of Yogi, RSS leaders in Malegaon case: Witness

ATS forced to take names of Yogi, RSS leaders in Malegaon case: Witness

Rediff.com28 Dec 2021

The witness deposed before the special National Investigation Agency court on Tuesday.

No political pressure in Malegaon probe: ATS

No political pressure in Malegaon probe: ATS

Rediff.com20 Nov 2008

Rebutting senior Bharatiya Janata Party leader L K Advani's charge, Maharashtra's Anti-Terrorism Squad said on Thursday there was no political pressure on it in handling the Malegaon blast probe nor was there any substance in the charge that accused Purohit was tortured in custody.

Malegaon case: SC extends stay against Purohit's interrogation

Malegaon case: SC extends stay against Purohit's interrogation

Rediff.com4 Jan 2012

The Supreme Court on Wednesday extended its order restraining the National Investigation Agency from interrogating 2008 Malegaon blast accused Lt Col Shrikant Prasad Purohit and Sudhakar Dhar Dwivedi till further direction.

Malegaon probe: Business houses on ATS radar

Malegaon probe: Business houses on ATS radar

Rediff.com19 Nov 2008

A check was being done whether the business houses were aware about the end use of funds. "We have questioned some of them and we are working to ascertain as to how much of money had been handed over to the saffron outfit," a senior probe official said on the condition of anonymity. The names of the business houses were not divulged for security reasons.

'Sadhvi Pragya conspired to strike terror in Malegaon'

'Sadhvi Pragya conspired to strike terror in Malegaon'

Rediff.com8 Jan 2012

The National Investigation Agency on Saturday opposed the bail plea of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, a key accused in the Malegaon blast case, in the special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court. The agency said that she aided and abetted the other accused with the full knowledge of the terror strike and had offered all support to them. On November 18, Thakur had filed a bail application in the special MCOCA court for the third time.

Be present or 'necessary order'...: Court to Pragya Thakur

Be present or 'necessary order'...: Court to Pragya Thakur

Rediff.com20 Apr 2024

On April 8, relying on a compliance report submitted by National Investigation Agency on Thakur's medical condition, Special NIA Judge A K Lahoti granted her exemption from personal appearance but had asked the Bhopal Lok Sabha MP to remain present "without fail" before the court on April 20.

Malegaon probe: Colonel, Major may be grilled

Malegaon probe: Colonel, Major may be grilled

Rediff.com7 Nov 2008

A Colonel posted in Deolali and a Major may face interrogation in connection with the probe into the Malegaon blasts as concerns over more officers coming under the scanner have rattled the armed forces.

Purohit's ex-colleague to be witness in Malegaon c

Purohit's ex-colleague to be witness in Malegaon c

Rediff.com25 Dec 2008

An armyman, who had served with Lieutenant Colonel Prasad Purohit in Military Intelligence, is likely to be made a prosecution witness in the Malegaon blast case as the Anti Terrorism Squad inquiring into the matter has recorded his statement.

Malegaon probe: Lt Col Purohit in more trouble

Malegaon probe: Lt Col Purohit in more trouble

Rediff.com18 Nov 2008

However, the Pune ATS moved an application seeking the army officer's custody in another case registered with them. Purohit was arrested earlier this month in connection with the September 29 Malegaon blast that killed six and injured 80. He is among ten, including sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, arrested for their alleged role in the blast.

Malegaon: Police custody for Pandey till Nov 26

Malegaon: Police custody for Pandey till Nov 26

Rediff.com14 Nov 2008

The prosecution also sought permission to conduct polygraph, narco-analysis and brain mapping tests on Pandey which was granted by joint civil judge H K Ganatra. Pandey, who was produced before the judge, complained of being physically assaulted by officials of the Anti-Terrorism Squad.

'We are not linked to Malegaon accused'

'We are not linked to Malegaon accused'

Rediff.com31 Oct 2008

Pankaj Phadnis who co-founded Abinav Bharat, says that it is not his fault if the men alleged to be accomplices of arrested Sadhvi Pragnya Singh Thakur had used the name of his organisation.

Samjhauta blast case: No proof against Lt Col Purohit says NIA chief

Samjhauta blast case: No proof against Lt Col Purohit says NIA chief

Rediff.com20 Apr 2016

The National Investigation Agency on Tuesday said there was no proof against Lt Col Prasad Purohit in the Samjhauta blast case.

Karkare wept over Malegaon charges,says R R Patil

Karkare wept over Malegaon charges,says R R Patil

Rediff.com16 Dec 2008

Minutes before he fell to the terrorists' bullets on November 26, Maharashtra ATS chief Hemant Karkare had wept before the then Deputy Chief Minister R R Patil, narrating the agony of being targeted over handling of the Malegaon blast probe.

CBI seeks Asseemanand custody for 2006 blasts

CBI seeks Asseemanand custody for 2006 blasts

Rediff.com22 Feb 2011

The Central Bureau of Investigation is mulling taking Swami Aseemanand into custody in connection with its probe in the 2006 Malegaon blasts case after the agency questioned some of the accused belonging to a right wing outfit arrested for allegedly planting bombs in Malegaon in 2008.

NIA seeks in-camera trial of 2008 Malegaon case

NIA seeks in-camera trial of 2008 Malegaon case

Rediff.com2 Aug 2019

In the plea, the agency has submitted that the allegations against the accused are that they committed the offence to take revenge against "Muslim Jihadi activities" and "to create a rift between two communities".

Blasts in Sabarkantha, Malegaon: 6 dead

Blasts in Sabarkantha, Malegaon: 6 dead

Rediff.com30 Sep 2008

One person was killed and six people injured in an explosion in Modasa town of Gujarat's Sabarkantha district on Monday night.

ATS team to investigate blast at Malegaon

ATS team to investigate blast at Malegaon

Rediff.com30 Sep 2008

The ATS team was sent to probe the blast at Malegaon's Bhikhu Chowk area late Monday night, Joint Commissioner of Police (ATS) Hemant Karkare said.

'Abhinav Bharat funds used in blast'

'Abhinav Bharat funds used in blast'

Rediff.com16 Dec 2008

The special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court on Tuesday remanded Ajay Rahirkar, accused in the September 29 Malegaon blast and the treasurer of right wing group Abhinav Bharat, to police custody till December 20. Eight other accused including prime accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur were sent to judicial custody till December 29. The prosecution had sought Rahirkar's custody on the grounds that Rahirkar transferred funds from Abhinav Bharat's treasury.

Samjhauta accused also involved in Jammu blast: NIA

Samjhauta accused also involved in Jammu blast: NIA

Rediff.com27 Dec 2012

Investigations into right-wing terror network in the country have led sleuths of the national Investigation Agency to suspect that some blasts in Jammu in 2004 were carried out by the group which was involved in Samjhauta train and Malegaon blasts.

Nanded blast: CBI grills Lt Col Purohit

Nanded blast: CBI grills Lt Col Purohit

Rediff.com3 May 2009

After reopening the probe into the Nanded blast of 2006, the Central Bureau of Investigation has recently taken custody of Army's tainted Lieutenant-Colonel, Srikant Purohit, and questioned him at length about his role in the incident.

Key accused in Nanded blasts ignored by CBI

Key accused in Nanded blasts ignored by CBI

Rediff.com21 Jan 2009

The voluminous chargesheet filed by the Anti-Terrorism Squad of Maharashtra Police has clearly stated that Rakesh Dattatraya Dhawade, one of the accused in the Malegaon case, had made arrangements and facilitated training to the accused persons in the Nanded bomb blasts in 2006. Six people were killed in the Malegaon explosions while the Nanded blasts claimed the lives of two persons.

Pune blasts: Bicycle bomb makes a comeback

Pune blasts: Bicycle bomb makes a comeback

Rediff.com2 Aug 2012

It seems like the bicycle has once again become the vehicle of terror. Terrorists have often chosen bicycles to plant bombs in the past, including the 2008 Jaipur blasts, that killed scores of people.